Programs & Courses
Emergency First Aid CPR AED
Emergency First Aid CPR AED is a basic one-day course offering first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training for the workplace or home. You will learn lifesaving skills needed to respond to a first aid emergency and how to manage illness and injuries until the emergency medical services (EMS) arrive at the scene. Skills covered in this CPR course include first aid; relief of choking in adults, children, and infants; and how to recognize and respond to sudden cardiac arrest in adults, children, and infants.
Instructors use presentations and skills demonstrations to teach critical skills and provide hands-on practice sessions. Participants receive coaching and feedback to facilitate their learning experience in a fun, engaging and dynamic environment.
First Aid with CPR & AED courses were developed in accordance with the recommendations from the International First Aid and Resuscitation Guidelines. This course meets legislation requirements for provincial/territorial worker safety and insurance boards (WSIB) and includes the latest first aid and CPR guidelines. For those who have a duty to respond to a cardiac and/or respiratory emergency because of work requirements or who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home and in the community.
Method of Delivery:
- Blended learning course consist of an online component and in-classroom component.
- The online component allows participants to review difficult topics in community CPR, and at their own pace and improve their performance at the hands-on skill session and in real life emergencies. ( )
- Upon completion of the online CPR and First Aid portion, participants must complete hands-on CPR training skills session with a Heart & Stroke Instructor in the classroom.
- In-classroom courses means participants are with a Heart & Stroke Instructor for their entire learning experience.
- Instructors teach CPR and AED training using presentations and skills demonstration.
- Instructor’s observe the participants, providing guidance and feedback to facilitate their learning experience in a fun and friendly environment.
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Identify the most important action steps to effectively respond to a life-threatening emergency situation
- Remove disposable gloves
- Demonstrate how to do a primary assessment following life-threatening conditions such as a heart attack, stroke, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding and shock.
- Demonstrate turning the victim into the recovery position
- Describe and demonstrate how to help a conscious and an unconscious victim with an obstructed airway
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Describe and demonstrate how to control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize the sign and symptoms of shock
- Describe how to minimize the risk of shock
- Identify early signs and symptom of a heart attack and stroke
- Describe how high-quality CPR skills improves survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Demonstrate high-quality CPR for an adult, ) and (pediatric CPR
- Describe how to perform two-rescuer CPR
- Demonstrate how to give rescue breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult, child and infant
- Provide first aid care for common injuries and illnesses
- First Aid & CPR (print and/or eBook)
- Comprehensive Guide to First Aid & CPR (eBook)
- Emergency First Aid – Online (Blended only)
- Blended Emergency First Aid CPR & AED Course takes approximately 8 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing; 4 hours for online portion and 3.5-4.5 hours for in-class component
- In classroom course Emergency First Aid CPR & AED takes approximately 7 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing
- Recertification for Emergency First Aid CPR & AED is approximately 5 hours teaching time in-class OR 4 hours online learning + 3-4 hours in-class for Blended.
*Online training time will vary depending on the learner.
Course Completion Card or
Upon successful completion of this course, students receive an Emergency First Aid certificate (digital certificate) and Emergency First Aid CPR card that is valid for 3 years.
- Emergency First Aid CPR/AED level C
- Emergency First Aid BLS level HCP (Healthcare Provider)
- Re-certification Emergency First Aid CPR/AED level C
- Re-certification Emergency First Aid BLS level HCP