Programs & Courses
Basic Life Support
The Basic Life Support (BLS) course trains participants to recognize life-threatening emergencies, perform a primary assessment, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver ventilation and use of an automated external defibrillator (AEDs). Classes are offered via the The Academy of First Aid & Safety of Toronto.
In the classroom, instructors provide interactive clinical scenarios and learning stations to prepare participants for real life emergency situation(s). The
is designed to build participant confidence to effectively perform high-quality CPR and increase knowledge in BLS skills.
This is a requirement for healthcare professionals, including , and dental . Pre care providers, which may include , paramedics, and .
Our were developed in accordance with the recommendations from the International First Aid and Resuscitation Guidelines. This meets requirements for provincial regulatory bodies and other colleges and includes the latest .
Method of Delivery:
- In-classroom courses means participants are with a Red Cross Instructor for their entire learning experience.
- Our amazing instructor will teach you cardiopulmonary resuscitation with rapid difibrillation using presentations and skills demonstration.
- Instructor’s observe the participants, providing guidance and feedback to facilitate their learning experience in a fun and friendly environment.
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Remove disposable gloves
- Demonstrate how to do a rapid assessment following life-threatening conditions such as a heart attack, stroke, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding and shock.
- Describe and demonstrate how to help a conscious and an unconscious victim with an obstructed airway
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Describe how to perform two-rescuer CPR
- Demonstrate how to give rescue breaths using first aid equipment, e.g.: oxygen, bag-valve mask and mouth-to-mouth
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult, child and infant
- Canadian Red Cross Basic Life Support Field Guide
- BLS Course takes approximately 4 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing
- BLS recertification couse takes approximately 2-4 hours to complete.
Course Completion Card or CPR Certification
Upon successful completion of this course, students receive a Basic Life Support certificate (digital certificate) valid for 1 year.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Level HCP